Monday 27 April 2015

Smokehouse Islington

Smoking hot


Smokehouse Islington

Having eaten at Smokehouse Chiswick not long ago, I headed back to the original Smokehouse in Islington, wondering if the quality would be the same after Neil Rankin is now no longer in the kitchen. I still remember when I first visited Smokehouse about a year ago, I had some of the best meat dishes and the signature dish shortrib bourguignon was just one of those wonderful dishes that I will never forget. As far as gastropub level wise, Smokehouse is one of the very best in London without a doubt.


chopped brisket roll & gochujang
caramel roast potatoes and Korean pulled pork
shortrib bourguignon

This time around I went for some of the items I have yet to try, chopped brisket roll was a real meaty affair with finely seasoned beef brisket with the gochujang sauces really delivering a lively spicy sensation to your taste-buds. My main of smoked pork belly was a clever dish using classic pork dish elements but presented in a modern way, the pork was sweet and tender with the boldness of the black pudding and sourness of the apple combining beautifully, on top of that the tattie scone absorbed all the meat juices and beurre blanc and what a delightful pork dish it was.

smoked pork belly, tattie scone,
black pudding & apple, beurre blanc
smoked lamb shoulder, polenta, raclette & sambal
Tiramisu cannoli

Another very satisfying meal at the Smokehouse, not a great deal of difference compared to the new Chiswick branch and the service on the day was extremely charming and lovely which all made the evening much more enjoyable, along with a long but excellent selection of beer, Smokehouse is easily one of the best restaurants in North London at a well affordable price. I can totally see myself becoming a regular if I live nearby. There are still some items on the menu I am very keen to try out so I am sure I will be back to Smokehouse in the near future.



Food 3.5/5

Executive chef: 

Neil Rankin

What I paid: 

£40 pp with a bottle beer

Average cost without drinks and services:

£30 pp


63-69 Canonbury Road, London N1 2DG


http://www.smokehouseislington.co.uk/



Smokehouse on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment