Sunday 7 June 2015

Hotbox

Crafty BBQ


Hotbox

I discovered Hotbox when I visited the Yelp's Mad Scientist SoirĂ©e and they were there dishing out some very impressive pork ribs, so good that I decided to visit Hotbox the actual restaurant itself to try out other items on the menu. Once a trendy street food vendor, it is now permanently located at Spitalfields with a basement bar which seems to be a very popular drinking joint for a weekend night out in The City. Every item on the menu looked very tempting so I ended up going for the Hotbox selection to give me a chance to try out pretty much every single smoked item on the regular menu. 



Malaysian Wings
beef brisket burger
Hotbox selection

The most expensive piece of meat on the plate was the short ribs but it hardly justified the cost, the meat was not as moist as I was expecting and lacked the succulent factor, it had great seasoning but it was let down by the the texture. The pulled pork was very juicy and tender with a hint of spiciness, very flavoursome and robust. But the star item was still the smoked pork ribs, once again it was sensational, it had a big smoky flavour with the perfect balance of sweetness, spiciness and saltiness. It was a very fine piece of rib and one of the finest I have encountered in London. To sum it up, Hotbox is a great BBQ joint but there are misses as well as hits, price wise it is not cheap with side dishes costing up to £6.50 and the main cost anything from £10 to £24. A great addition to Spitalfields but not one that I will return in a hurry.


Food 2/5

What I paid: 

£24 pp

Average cost without drinks and services:

£18 pp


46-48 Commercial Street, London E1 6LT


http://hotboxlondon.com/


Hotbox on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment