Tuesday 22 November 2016

Wild Rabbit

Best of Cotswold


roasted cod, shrimp, cauliflower


Wild Rabbit, the newly Michelin awarded gastropub in Cotswold is a sure favorite of mine. It is led up by Tim Allen, who used to be the head chef at D&D's Launceston Place last year. The style of his cooking is exactly the kind I just absolutely adore, it is a blend of creative flair with fine attention to detail. Tim is also a very progressive and forward thinking chef. So since my first visit in the summer, I expect something quite different, plus more novel elements. From my long autumn weekend break, below are some of the highlights over my two visits :

 
From top left clockwise: black pudding, mackerel tartare, pork and scallop

The mackerel tartare was a refreshing and impactful dish that really jazzed up my palate, the richness of the fish, combined with the sharpness and coolness of the horseradish, made it a wonderful palate freshener. Scallop with pig's head was simply a delightful dish, the natural sweetness from the scallop and pig worked magically, together with the acidity of the apple, it brought everything together. The roasted cod with cauliflower and shrimp: every mouthful was a pure delight, the flaky moist texture was a pure sensation and it was the best fish dish I have encountered this year in the UK.
 
From top left clockwise: smoked duck, pig's head with scallop, teal and pheasant

The smoked duck was a very modern dish, which contained maple and walnut at the marinate process, it 
turned the dish into something really special. It was a very complex tasting dish with earthiness, smokiness and sweetness all in the mix. The meat was tender and finely seasoned, with the sweet and sour profile of the pear and radish injected a nice contrast to offset the richness. Last but not least was the honey cheesecake, it was surprisingly light for a cheesecake but yet full of lovely flavours, the texture was at the perfect level, not too creamy with a hint of subtle fruity sharpness. They all together offered such a beautiful balance. 
 
From top left clockwise: veal, cheesecake, pineapple and raspberry

Two exquisite meals over separate visits and not even a single bad dish, that is why I am such a loyal fan to Tim's cooking. Every dish were done in such an elegant and refined manner, combined with the lovely presentation and a touch of imagination, I couldn't ask for more. With knowing the style of his cooking, I'm certain for my next visit, I will get something quite different, filled of surprising elements again. On top of that, the service was first class and made you feel like someone special whilst maintained very humbled, such a fine balance, Wild Rabbit is my restaurant of the year without a doubt. If I have any criticism, that would be why the restaurant is so far away from where I live?!


Food 5/5

What I paid: 

£90 per head with 2 glasses of wine

Average cost without drinks and services:

£50

Church St, Chipping Norton, OxfordshireUK OX7 6YA


www.thewildrabbit.co.uk/


The Wild Rabbit Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment